15 March 2008

David, Goliath and Sarah


This last week has hurt, a lot.

In a moment of pure frustration and venting, the Lord broke through with a moment of clarity and I found myself saying, “I feel like I’m being asked to go against a giant with a few stupid rocks!”

I paused.

And the tears started.

Quickly a flood of hope and sadness washed over me and I realized how true those words were. I knew how much He wanted to take this pain from me but He knew that taking it now, wouldn’t cause me to grow. My muscles would stay under developed and the great story that I will be able to tell of his wonder and power would be cut short.

So, I went to the source, 1 Samuel 17.

Reading the story I was struck by what was said to him before he went out, vs. 28 “…Why have you come down? And with whom have you left those few sheep in the wilderness? I know your presumptions and the evil of your heart…” and then, vs.33, “…You are not able to go against this Philistine to fight him, for you are but a youth…”

Questioning his duties, reminding him that there was nothing good in him and that he was too young. These words are still so raw to my heart.

But the story goes on… with King Saul’s armor and Goliath taunting David and then David speaks. (vs. 45-47) “I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the Lord will deliver you into my hands…that all this assembly may know that the LORD saves not with sword and spear. For the battle is the LORD’s, and he will give you into our hand.”

He lets the rock fly, and bang, the giant is dead. The Lord has brought a mighty victory for himself through a young boy who had left his sheep and was accused of having evil in his heart.

This same boy became a man after God’s own heart.

--

This morning I was listening to one of my favorite songwriters, Ginny Owens, and I heard her say in her song “I AM”,

Now Lord are you sure, he’s just a shepherd boy? Too small for battle gear with a giant to destroy. What on earth can he do with five stones and a sling? “It’s not your problem” God replied, “ ‘Cause I can do anything! There’s a bigger picture you can’t see, you don’t have to change the world just trust in me, ‘cause I am your creator, I am working out my plan and through you I will show them, I am the first I am the last, I am the present and the past, I am tomorrow and today, I am the only way.

Psalm 61:5, “For you, O God, have heard my vows; you have given me the heritage of those who fear your name.”

God is good and faithful and true and right and strong. He can do no wrong.

2 comments:

A. T. Elwer said...

Hey baby!
Just taking this space to say I love you, and that I am glad you are going out to face the giant instead of hidding from him as he taunts you. Remember that the faith in God's power and divine provision is what matters, not what you, Sarah Elwer, can do on your own.

God hear your daughters heart, bring healing to those who are in need of it.

Unknown said...

I suppose we must trust that since God chose the vehicle of sufferingto form Christ in us - it must be the right thing. Here's to Christ in us, the hope of glory.

Thanks for sharing your journey.

-glen